George Soule is at home in any courtroom in America. He has tried cases in 19 states, in rural courthouses and tribal courts to big city federal courts. From small-town Minnesota, George went to Harvard Law School, where he served on the Law Review with now-Chief Justice John Roberts. He returned to Minnesota in 1979 to begin his career as a trial lawyer. George has tried over sixty cases to verdict involving product liability, commercial and negligence claims. He has coordinated product liability litigation nationwide, defended mass torts and class actions, and counseled manufacturers on product safety issues. His clients have included manufacturers of farm and industrial equipment, medical devices, vehicles, and consumer products. George also serves as a qualified neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice.
From 1999 to 2003, George served under Governor Jesse Ventura as Chair of the Minnesota Commission on Judicial Selection, which recommends candidates for judicial appointments by the Governor. George was Vice-Chair of the Commission from 1992 to 1999. He has served as Co-Chair of seven election campaigns for Minnesota Supreme Court Justices and worked on many other judicial campaigns.
An advocate for diversity in the legal community and bench, George is a member of the White Earth Nation and a past President of the Minnesota American Indian Bar Association. He now serves as a Judge of the Tribal Courts of Appeals for the White Earth Nation and three other Minnesota Tribes.
For a list of George’s presentations on topics ranging from product liability prevention to diversity, please click here.
- • Harvard Law School 1979
- • Moorhead State University 1976
- • Minnesota
- • Wisconsin
- Legal Activities
- • Chair, MSBA Civil Litigation Section, 1994-1995
- • Chair and Vice-Chair, Minnesota Commission on Judicial Selection, 1992-2003
- • President, Minnesota American Indian Bar Association, 2004-2006
- • President, Minnesota Chapter, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) 2014
- • Fellow, International Society of Barristers, 2015-
- • Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2005-
- • Professionalism Award Hennepin County Bar Association, 1997
- • Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 1999, 2012, 2019
- • Advocate’s Award, MSBA Civil Litigation Section, 2003
- • Burton Award for Legal Writing, 2007
- • Minneapolis Product Liability Litigation Defendants “Lawyer of the Year,” Best Lawyers, 2013
- • The Best Lawyers in America, 2010 – 2016